HistoryThe Moravian Church started its activities in Tanzania in the late 19th century, when missionaries established the first mission station at Rungwe, in Southern Tanzania, in 1891. The South West Province was established in 1976. It is a registered province in the Ministry of home affairs, with registration number So: 6099 and its certificate of incorporation is no 630. This province is divided into 3 districts, namely Mbeya, Chunya and Mbalizi. It operates in the mission area of Iringa and Mbozi as well. The province performs holistic development to the community around it.
The province is growing very fast in terms of population and the area covered. This is the biggest province among the Moravian unity provinces. It covers big areas of administration which brings big managerial challenges. But the province of SWP is still operating in the name of one region of Mbeya.
Today, there are about 215'000 Moravian members in the whole province, 200 pastors and evangelists working in 133 congregations and 20 outstations, and approximately 25 retired pastors who are supported by the province. About 80% of the budget is from local sources (numbers according to report of 2019).